Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:26

Formal Import

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

This is referred to as a Formal Entry (7501 Entry) and includes the following: 

  • a. This would be a non-US vehicle (Canadian) that is being brought into the US for more than one year and will be titled and registered in the US. 
  • b. A US vehicle that was imported into Canada and the US title was surrendered as part of the formal import process in Canada. Vehicle will be re-titled and registered in the US. 
  • c. A US titled vehicle that changed ownership in Canada and the new owner is importing the vehicle back into the US. (must provide copy of US title)

Import Requirements: To import a vehicle into the US, it must be compliant to USDOT (US Department of Transportation) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) standards. Regardless of the year of the vehicle, USDOT Form HS-7 and EPA Form 3520 must be completed and filed upon entry along with the applicable entry paperwork and forms required for a commercial entry and by a commercial carrier when crossing the border. 

Formal Entry: It will take up to four (4) weeks for US Customs to process FORM 7501. The completed form will be mailed to the importer’s address. If you change addresses different than on your customs paperwork before receiving FORM 7501, please contact your broker as soon as possible and provide your new delivery address. Note: US Customs will not research inquiries prior to three (3) weeks upon date of crossing the border.

Registering: You will not be able to title and register your vehicle with the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) until you have received FORM 7501. 

Once you receive FORM 7501, bring the 7501, Canadian title, bill-of-sale (if applicable) to the DMV. Importer will be responsible for title, registration fees and applicable local taxes.

Read 434405 times Last modified on Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:54
More in this category: Informal Import »
Fidelity Auto Shipping, Co © 2013 - All Rights Reserved