Super User

Super User

Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:26

Formal Import

This is referred to as a Formal Entry (7501 Entry) and includes the following: 

  • a. This would be a non-US vehicle (Canadian) that is being brought into the US for more than one year and will be titled and registered in the US. 
  • b. A US vehicle that was imported into Canada and the US title was surrendered as part of the formal import process in Canada. Vehicle will be re-titled and registered in the US. 
  • c. A US titled vehicle that changed ownership in Canada and the new owner is importing the vehicle back into the US. (must provide copy of US title)

Import Requirements: To import a vehicle into the US, it must be compliant to USDOT (US Department of Transportation) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) standards. Regardless of the year of the vehicle, USDOT Form HS-7 and EPA Form 3520 must be completed and filed upon entry along with the applicable entry paperwork and forms required for a commercial entry and by a commercial carrier when crossing the border. 

Formal Entry: It will take up to four (4) weeks for US Customs to process FORM 7501. The completed form will be mailed to the importer’s address. If you change addresses different than on your customs paperwork before receiving FORM 7501, please contact your broker as soon as possible and provide your new delivery address. Note: US Customs will not research inquiries prior to three (3) weeks upon date of crossing the border.

Registering: You will not be able to title and register your vehicle with the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) until you have received FORM 7501. 

Once you receive FORM 7501, bring the 7501, Canadian title, bill-of-sale (if applicable) to the DMV. Importer will be responsible for title, registration fees and applicable local taxes.

Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:23

Informal Import

This is referred to as a 3299 ENTRY and includes the following:

a. Canadian vehicle that will be in the United States (US) 12 months or less.

E.g. snowbirds, less than 1 year work visa, or students. These vehicles cannot be titled, sold or traded in the US. They must return to Canada to change ownership.

b. US title vehicle returning to the US. (must provide copy of US title or registration)

Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:18

Canadian vehicle returning

Returning Canadian vehicle(s) can be brought into Canada two different manners on a commercial carrier. 


The following types of entries must go IN-BOND to bonded warehouse to be self-cleared:

    • Any personal items in a Canadian vehicle returning to Canada
    • Any Canadian going back to Canada temporary with US vehicle
    • Canadian moving back to Canada with US vehicle to qualify for $10,000 value exemption
    • Any person going in under WORK-VISA
    • Immigrant moving to Canada to qualify for GST/Duty exemption

Formal Entry

This is for a vehicle that can be cleared at the border and delivered to a Canadian address. No personal items can be in the vehicle.

Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:09

Permanent Entry

Permanent entry is required for all vehicles permanently entering Canada. Depending on who is importing the vehicle, formal clearance may be required before the vehicle can cross the border or Fidelity Auto Shipping can arrange delivery to a bonded warehouse for self-clearance. Payment of GST/Duty is required along with RIV on vehicle 15 years old and newer. Depending on the nature of the move, exemptions may apply which will reduce the amount of GST/Duty paid.

For more information, you can go to Canada's RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) website:

Thursday, 21 November 2013 05:02

Temporary Import

Temporary Imports (Informal entries) are for vehicles where the owner is there on a temporary basis. E.g. Seasonal Resident (12 months or less), Work visa (36 months or less), Students. There are rules pertaining to selling a vehicle that has been temporarily imported. Vehicles cannot be sold or traded in Canada. They must return to US to change ownership or go through a formal Import process and re-enter Canada. Fidelity Auto Shipping can also help you with this process. Fees will apply. Temporary Imported vehicles can be temporarily registered in Canada so insurance can be acquired within the province it resides in.

To track your vehicle or get an update on your vehicle's status, call dispatch at 877-234-SHIP extension 2, or send an email to:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please make sure to provide your order ID and contact number if different from what we have on file for you. 

Yes. Fidelity Auto Shipping regularly ships motorcycles and inoperable vehicles and specializes in shipping unusual vehicles, including exotic, specialty and classic automobiles. Extra parts are accepted on a case-by-case basis, and an additional fee may apply.

Please call the offices of Fidelity Auto Shipping immediately. In most cases, we have only 14 – 30 days to file a claim. If not reported in time we cannot offer assistance or be held responsible for any damage that might have occurred. Additionally, you must clearly indicate any resulting damage that occurred during shipping on the "Bill of Lading" or delivery receipt issued by the driver at the time of delivery.

Wednesday, 20 November 2013 05:40

Can I specify a pickup date?

Generally, we require a two to three-day window for. For a nominal fee, Fidelity Auto Shipping can offer guaranteed pick up however by having your vehicle picked up locally and taken to a storage facility to await pick up from one of our carriers.

Wednesday, 20 November 2013 05:27

How do I book my vehicle transport?

Already have an auto transport quote? Call one of our agents with your booking number to schedule your car transport. If you do not know your booking number, our reps will be able to find it for you.

If you do not have a quote yet, please contact us or send an online quote request and we'll get in contact with you. 

Page 1 of 2
Fidelity Auto Shipping, Co © 2013 - All Rights Reserved